Thanks to Mosallaa-an-Noor Mosque for a great Eid party.
Thanks to Mosallaa-an-Noor Mosque for a great Eid party.
This Sunday, July 9th is ALMA Sunday, when we celebrate our link with the church in Tete, Mozambique.
Please don't forget that on this day we will have a Joint Service at 10.30am in the New Church and then a ‘bring and share’ lunch on the Rectory lawn.
Several guests from Mozambique will be participating in our service and then sharing in our lunch.
Please bring a blanket to sit on.
Everyone is welcome!
Celebrating the children of our church! Wonderful event: BBQ, campfire and camping on the Rectory lawn. Let's do it again next year.
Pentecost Sunday June 4th. We’ll be celebrating it with a Joint Service in the Big Church at 10.30am. And do add a dash of red, yellow or orange to your attire - get into the spirit of celebration!
Election Hustings at St.Mary's this Thursday. Come and hear the candidates hoping for your vote.Bar available. Starts at 7:30 pm.
Pop-up Food Market at St Mary’s
Saturday 20 May 11-6 and Sunday 21 May 12.30-6
We are launching our fundraising drive for the new community rooms with a pop-up food market. Please tell all your friends and neighbours and come along and support us!
In addition, there is still a lot of help needed to make this a success. Please contact Claire Garrett (07880 867 444 / firstname.lastname@example.org) or the people listed below if you can help in any way.
- Baking scones for the cream teas on the lawn. Helping serve the cream teas on the day – contact Julie Farley at email@example.com / 07780 051 530
- Baking bread to sell on a church stall – contact Tamar at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helping with set-up of the stalls on both days. This will mean being available from around 8.30 to help with setting up tables, possibly erecting gazebos for certain pitches, sorting electric where necessary… - contact Claire at email@example.com
- Helping with clear down of the stalls at the end of the market on both days – contact Claire at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteering over the weekend at the market itself – we need people to staff children’s craft activities, to police a bouncy castle, to serve at various church stalls, possibly to man a bbq (still tbc) and to sell raffle tickets – please contact Claire on email@example.com if you are happy to make yourself generally available and have tasks allocated. If you would rather volunteer for a certain activity please contact the relevant person as listed above.
- We also need people to take flyers and post through doors to advertise the market. We are liaising with Location Location estate agent to produce these and are hoping to have them available at church on Sunday.
- Does anyone have a van or the ability to hire a van for an hour or so on Friday after school and again on Sunday evening once the market is over? We are borrowing stallholder tables from two local schools and need to transport them between the schools and the church.
Please do join our enthusiastic team of volunteers!! The better the buzz we can create around this launch event, the higher the chances of success at getting community engagement in our building project.
The Hackney Refugee Welcome Event will take place on Weds 26 April, from 4-6:30pm at Clapton Girls Academy, E5 0RB. The event will celebrate the resettlement of Syrian refugee families in Hackney and reflect on refugees issues more generally. Speakers include Jonathan Freedland, Yvette Cooper, Diane Abbot and the Speaker of Hackney Council.
‘Music for a May evening’ a collection of English and Czech light choral music, with Cantus and Intimate Voices. May 6th, 7pm at St Thomas the Apostle, N4 2QP. Admission £12 /£10 concessions
Visit of Sr Lucy Kurien. Friday May 5 at 6.30 pm at St Ethelburga’s Centre for Reconciliation and Peace.
A rare chance to hear from a woman of deep wisdom and compassion, about what it means to live in service to the whole. Sr Lucy works with destitute women and children in India.
To catch a flavour of the evening, here is a video of Sister Lucy speaking:
Please come and join us on Sunday, 26th March at 10:30 am to celebrate Mothering Sunday!
...and please do not forget that the clocks go forward!
Take a look at our new Spring e-Newsletter!
Our Annual General Meeting will be held on April 2nd at 12 o’clock in the Old Church and will follow on from the Joint Service in the New Church. Please bring a plate of food to share for lunch.
In addition to hearing what we have been up to over the past year and electing our Council, Wardens and reps, we will be spending a good amount of time hearing about and discussing the plans for the new St Mary’s Centre.
Please don’t miss out on this! Put the date in your diary today!
The PCC meets this Monday evening at 7.30pm in the Old Church.
At the AGM in April we will be electing 4 new representatives to our Parochial Church Council (PCC).
It is important that our Council is a true representation of our various congregations.
With that in mind we are looking especially for greater representation from our 9.30 congregation and from BME members across our congregations.
Might this be you? Or if not you, who would you like to encourage to stand?
‘Citizens’ are holding a rally in the evening of March 9th in York Hall. This is to celebrate all that has been achieved and to plan for the future. What are the issues that really matter to us and our community? All are welcome.
Choral Evensong next Sunday is being sung by the Assumption Singers. 6.30pm in the Old Church.
Women’s World Day of Prayer: Friday, 3rd March 2017, 2.15pm at Green Lanes Methodist Church or 7.30pm at St Olave’s, Woodberry Down. The focus this year is on the Philippines.
Hello! My name is Tamar and I’m delighted to be a new Communications, Administration and Hospitality Coordinator at St Mary’s. Please get in touch if I can be of any assistance to you, just drop in/phone/email the Parish Office. I look forward to meeting you at a service.
The Women’s Group from Finsbury Park Mosque send out a warm invitation to all women from St Mary’s to join them on a visit to the House of Commons. Do take a leaflet at the back of church if you might be interested in going.
If you want to travel with others for Matt's licencing we meet at 5.30pm at the church or 5.50pm at Canonbury station…..or see you at St Nick’s, Poplar for 7pm.
Lent begins on March 1st with a service in the Old Church at 7pm. Our theme for this year is ‘Testing Times’. If you are interested in joining a study group please sign the list at the back of church.