Get your tickets here
The 2nd of our Seeking Soul Space events is this afternoon, November 16th in the Old Church, 3 - 4.30pm.
Participate in time-honoured practices for clearing inner space: chants, sacred scripture, meditations and silence.
Facilitator: Liz Watson
If you’d like to join a choir for the Carol Service on December 17th please sign the list at the back of church today. Rehearsals begin on Nov 26th.
There are lots of events coming up over Advent/Christmas where we’d like to serve mulled wine, beginning with our Winter Market on Nov 25th. If you are able to donate a bottle of red wine we’d be really grateful. And would anyone like to serve mulled wine over the festive season? Depending on who is available and when, we will be looking to offer this at weekends whilst the Christmas tree market is running. If you might be free, please write your name on the list at the back of church.
All Souls Service,
7pm in the New Church
Is there someone you love
but from whom you are
parted by death?
Would you like them
remembered at the service?
If so, please come early enough to print their name
before the service begins.
If you cannot be there, cards for names to be written on
can be found this week,
on the prayer table outside the Epiphany Chapel.
‘Though we need to weep your loss,
You dwell in that safe place in our hearts,
Where no storm or night or pain can reach you.’
You may have noticed that the Old Church has been shrouded in corrugated iron and scaffolding for the past 3 months. This was to enable us to do urgent repairs to the roof and the gutters and drainpipes. The work was made possible by a very generous grant from the Listed Places of Worship Roof Repairs Scheme, who have financed 82% of the work.
Seeking Soul Space’: a series of workshops exploring spirituality.
The first is an afternoon of Circle Dance with Heather Williams, in the Old Church, on Sunday, October 22nd. 3 - 4.30pm. Come and join in dances from around the world.
Circle dance is a form of social dance that uses simple steps and sequences. No knowledge of dance is needed; just a desire to experience the interconnectedness of movement and spirit.
Heather is a dancer (and scientist), who is keen to make the links between dance and spirituality. She leads the monthly ‘Danced Liturgy' at St James's Piccadilly.
Harvest Festival this Sunday. New church, 10.30am.
All our harvest produce will be donated to the food bank, so please don’t bring perishable food, nor rice, nor pasta. Tinned fruit, tinned corned beef, toiletries are all good! There will be a sale of Palestinian olive oil after the service so do bring some extra money.
James is raising money for the new St Mary's Centre by cycling from London to Paris in 24 hours. Let's support him!
Thank you, James!!!
Members of St Marys joined the Demo outside the ExCel Centre on Saturday, in opposition to the World Arms Fair being held there this week.
Huge THANK YOU to everyone who gave their time and effort on Sunday.
St Mary's will be serving tea and scones on the new church lawn on Sunday, August 27th. Please come and enjoy!
Seeking Soul Space: a series of autumn and winter workshops run by St Mary’s at the Old Church encouraging you to de-clutter and re-focus.
Please take a look HERE for more details.
Special Services coming up at St Marys:
St Mary’s Patronal Festival will be celebrated on Sunday, September 10th, 10.30 am in the New Church. A chance for all our congregations to come together and remember the woman to whom our churches are dedicated.
Our Harvest Festival will be celebrated on Sunday, October 1st at 10.30am in the New Church.
There will be perishable produce and Palestinian Olive oil on sale afterwards, so do bring extra cash.
Thanks to Mosallaa-an-Noor Mosque for a great Eid party.
This Sunday, July 9th is ALMA Sunday, when we celebrate our link with the church in Tete, Mozambique.
Please don't forget that on this day we will have a Joint Service at 10.30am in the New Church and then a ‘bring and share’ lunch on the Rectory lawn.
Several guests from Mozambique will be participating in our service and then sharing in our lunch.
Please bring a blanket to sit on.
Everyone is welcome!
Celebrating the children of our church! Wonderful event: BBQ, campfire and camping on the Rectory lawn. Let's do it again next year.
Pentecost Sunday June 4th. We’ll be celebrating it with a Joint Service in the Big Church at 10.30am. And do add a dash of red, yellow or orange to your attire - get into the spirit of celebration!
Election Hustings at St.Mary's this Thursday. Come and hear the candidates hoping for your vote.Bar available. Starts at 7:30 pm.
Pop-up Food Market at St Mary’s
Saturday 20 May 11-6 and Sunday 21 May 12.30-6
We are launching our fundraising drive for the new community rooms with a pop-up food market. Please tell all your friends and neighbours and come along and support us!
In addition, there is still a lot of help needed to make this a success. Please contact Claire Garrett (07880 867 444 / email@example.com) or the people listed below if you can help in any way.
- Baking scones for the cream teas on the lawn. Helping serve the cream teas on the day – contact Julie Farley at firstname.lastname@example.org / 07780 051 530
- Baking bread to sell on a church stall – contact Tamar at email@example.com
- Helping with set-up of the stalls on both days. This will mean being available from around 8.30 to help with setting up tables, possibly erecting gazebos for certain pitches, sorting electric where necessary… - contact Claire at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Helping with clear down of the stalls at the end of the market on both days – contact Claire at email@example.com
- Volunteering over the weekend at the market itself – we need people to staff children’s craft activities, to police a bouncy castle, to serve at various church stalls, possibly to man a bbq (still tbc) and to sell raffle tickets – please contact Claire on firstname.lastname@example.org if you are happy to make yourself generally available and have tasks allocated. If you would rather volunteer for a certain activity please contact the relevant person as listed above.
- We also need people to take flyers and post through doors to advertise the market. We are liaising with Location Location estate agent to produce these and are hoping to have them available at church on Sunday.
- Does anyone have a van or the ability to hire a van for an hour or so on Friday after school and again on Sunday evening once the market is over? We are borrowing stallholder tables from two local schools and need to transport them between the schools and the church.
Please do join our enthusiastic team of volunteers!! The better the buzz we can create around this launch event, the higher the chances of success at getting community engagement in our building project.
The Hackney Refugee Welcome Event will take place on Weds 26 April, from 4-6:30pm at Clapton Girls Academy, E5 0RB. The event will celebrate the resettlement of Syrian refugee families in Hackney and reflect on refugees issues more generally. Speakers include Jonathan Freedland, Yvette Cooper, Diane Abbot and the Speaker of Hackney Council.